News and History of the MNG Developers from 1999
Herein lie news items and historical stuff regarding MNG. Feel free to poke
around, but note that some of the links, particularly the older ones, may be
broken. Keep in mind that this is history here...
- latest - see here
- 10 November 1999 - The name of the MNG mailing list is now
officially mng-list. (Send subscribe mng-list in the
body of a message to firstname.lastname@example.org to subscribe.)
- 20 July 1999 - Draft 69 (version 0.96) of the MNG specification
is released, incorporating the recently approved changes from versions
0.95b, 0.95c and 0.95e.
- 17 July 1999 - The "MNG-0.95e" proposal (Draft 68, global pHYg
chunk) is approved.
- 15 July 1999 - The "MNG-0.95c" proposal (Draft 66, global bKGD
and sBIT chunks) is approved.
- 29 June 1999 - The "MNG-0.95b" proposal (Draft 65, DEFI changes)
- 27 May 1999 - Draft 64 (version 0.95a) of the MNG specification is
released (minor editorial corrections), as is Draft 65 (version 0.95b).
The latter proposes some technical changes that were prompted by several of the
implementations currently underway; they mostly involve the DEFI chunk
and issues surrounding nonviewable objects.
- 11 May 1999 - The MNG spec is officially frozen!
Any further changes will require a formal vote by eligible MNG or PNG
developers (which includes a two-week discussion period followed by a
two-week voting period).
- 25 April 1999 - Draft 63 (version 0.95) of the MNG specification
is released (minor editorial fixes, clarifications, and new examples).
- 12 April 1999 - Draft 62 (version 0.94) of the MNG specification
is released (fixed background inconsistency, allowed FRAM timeout to be
zero, used "interframe delay" consistently, shortened description of
- 3 April 1999 - Draft 61 (version 0.93) of the MNG specification
is released (minor editorial changes only).
- 27 March 1999 - Draft 60 (version 0.93) of the MNG specification
is released (revised eXPI and description of "frame"; restored
requirement for MNG-VLC decoders to handle BACK chunk and use background
color if mandatory; MNG-VLC subset available as separate document).
- 16 March 1999 - Draft 59 of the MNG specification (still version
0.93) is released: revised abstract and description of profile bits;
fixed eXPI typo; MNG-LC (low-complexity) subset available as separate
- 16 March 1999 - Dave Beckett has set up a mirror site for the
MNG web pages at HENSA in
the UK, accessible via both http and ftp:
This is in addition to the existing mirror of the MNG ftp site:
- 12 March 1999 - Draft 58 of the MNG specification, a.k.a.
version 0.93, is released (revised profile bits to support concept
of "MNG-Ultralite"; strengthened background-layer requirements
slightly; updated examples).
- 8 March 1999 - Draft 57 of the MNG specification, a.k.a.
version 0.92, is released (extracted "MNG-Lite" subset for easier
initial implementations; added global tRNS chunk to go with global
PLTE; revised pHYs treatment with respect to framing modes).
- 2 February 1999 - Draft 56 of the MNG specification, a.k.a.
version 0.91, is released (revised delta-PNG, LOOP defaults and
Here are the other MNG-related pages at this site:
Last modified 14 March 2009.
Copyright © 1996-2009 Greg Roelofs.